Friday, April 1, 2011

How To Deal With Rejection..


So I'm not going to go into details about what kind of rejection I have been facing this week but basically it has been a bad past few days for me. I was debating whether or not to do this post but then I decided that it could hopefully help at least one of you. I'm going to explain how I felt and how I dealt with it.. I like to think of this as a 3 stage overview.

First Stage
I actually just felt numb for basically the whole day after the initial shock of rejection. I think on the first day, it is important to surround yourself with supportive people who can see the bright side even if you can't.

Second Stage
  • This was the day where I basically got hit with emotions. There was a lot of anger which eventually turned into sadness. This would be a good day to try not to say something that you will regret later.. lol It would also be a good day to own a punching bag.. haha seriously.
  • It is also okay to look "crappy" on these days, too. Your feeling down and its okay to just block out everything for an amount of time. I had a day where I wore no makeup, a gray long-sleeve shirt, and tennis shoes. I honestly could have cared less how I looked. haha
  • Anyways I think it is okay to feel sad on this day; play sad songs if you want. I listened to "Waiting for the End" by Linkin Park, "Heartbreak Warfare" by John Mayer, "Landslide" by the Dixie Chicks [and the Glee version], and "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry. (Some dramatic titles huh? lol I wasn't that depressed!)
  • Also, letting out a good cry really can make you feel better. It definitely worked for me. If you start crying but turn hysterical and can't stop then I suggest taking a shower because I don't know if this is true with other people but I can't cry when I'm in the shower.. haha.
  • WAY TO MAKE YOURSELF FEEL BETTER: I think one of the best things you can do on a day where you feel extremely down is get something off your chest that has been gnawing at you for a while. I ended up apologizing to a friend and it's all a long story but I felt a lot better afterward.
Third Stage
  • This is the stage where you need to put yourself back together. It's okay to sulk for a day or two because you definitely don't want to bottle your emotions inside. However, you need to move on because life will still go on no matter how bad things may seem.
  • In this stage, I like to go back to things that make me happy. I would play faster paced songs and would watch videos that made me laugh.
  • A good way to cheer yourself up is by using "bright", smelling products whether they are shower gels, perfumes, or candles. I recommend the Bali Mango Shower Gel from Bath & Body Works and I have heard the Clean and Clear Morning Burst Shower Gels smell really good, too.
  • Make the most of what you still have.
How You Don't Want To Deal With Rejection
  • NEVER EVER should you resort to things such as alcohol, drugs, or self mutilation to cope with the pain. I am completely serious; I know people who have done each of these things. I know this time can hurt and make you question everything but doing any of the things just listed are going to make your problems much much worse. Everything happens for a reason and you will end up where you are meant to be.
Most Important Message I Can Give You
When facing rejection, the absolute single most important and hardest thing to do is to not change the way you look at yourself. You are still the same person that you were before and whoever doesn't want you is missing out on a great person. Don't drop all of your dreams and hopes just because of a rejection. You are worth so much and it is important to not forget that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment